Thursday, November 19, 2015

HR are Humans (Not from Mars)


image Courtesy:http://www.fhrd.org/SiteImages/News/635391934075947528_HR_Warrant.jpg




One of my close associate failed to show up for work – very unusual given his propensity to be punctual and as the days dragged on, strangely there was no sign of him. His mobile wasn’t reachable. His absence made me shiver with apprehension. A week later, he did report – to quit and be gone for good. I slumped on my desk and the lump in my throat just choked me. Why? Why? “My health mate. Docs scanned, said this and that, none of which I understood other than surgery”. As an act of solidarity “what can we do to help you?” He wasn’t himself. With that tired look, unenthusiastic and awful body language “pray if you can. I have to meet the HR”.

After the meeting he came straight to me “HR is asking to serve the notice period. I have to board the train by noon. I came to hand over my papers and walk out and all he is concerned is about notice period.” His agony and anguish, in the given circumstances, was unquestionably understandable but for the time served he hardly understood or got to know better of HR.

I am very close to HR as we discuss everything under the sun and sometimes the stars and galaxies too. He is a good-hearted guy but with a stoic face that betrays emotions or rather he hardly expresses and reserves a smile especially dealing with official matter. So when my close chum came out disheartened and disconsolate, little did he know that the HR empathized with his plight personally but discharged his duties professionally? The HR would later confide with me “I feel sorry for that guy, but if I came across as cold-hearted, I just can’t help it. I am paid to win heads  and meet your needs. It’s strictly business.” What a character! His benevolence is blanked out like that thick fog on a wintry morning and what comes to the fore is akin to a policeman on a beat - Strict and stocky.

This is not to be dismissed as delusion because dealing with humans can be far more complex and conversations, if gone haywire, can become catastrophic.

I, serving in any capacity, always advocated promoting a culture where everyone can question and be questioned. “Give them what they want and get what you want- will avert grudges and grumbling within. There is discord and discontent, as disturbing, could prove detrimental and thats where HR has a larger role to play in leveling the play area.
Of course, I have been fortunate to mix and mingle with some fabulous HR personnel. And continue to do so…….

PROJECT HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT is one of the 10 knowledge areas in area in PMP® Certification exam. For more details visit http://goo.gl/U4Rtez

No comments:

Post a Comment