Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Doing The “Right Thing” Is Always Right? | People Management

image courtesy: https://quotefancy.com/quote/817658/Gilbert-K-Chesterton-Right-is-Right-even-if-nobody-does-it-Wrong-is-wrong-even-if


Have you ever experienced the conflict within yourself? Many of us would have experienced without realizing what it is. I would like to share few scenarios of my life where I have contradicted myself and how it helped to create the self-awareness within me.

From a personal perspective:
What is Right to me may not “RIGHT” to my spouse?

I always want my son to do things perfect in his studies and sports which is my primary concern all the time, whereas my spouse  always wants to take care of my son’ interests and happiness emotionally. Who is wrong here? None. Who is right? Perhaps, both.  We both have very different standpoint but the same mission in the upbringing of our son. Hence, it’s obvious that we get into conflict when I try to make my son to do things against his interest. To avoid confrontation, which might escalate to arguments, she tend to downplay with my son when I am  around and  makes him to complete his school work and studies before my return from work.

It is like racing on thin ice. Most of the times, we do our best to avoid situation that might result in conflict/argument.  My spouse' maxims in managing my son need to be balanced with my own principles to instil discipline. Eventually we respect the institution of marriage/family rather than self. The more we kill the self, the better will be our family life. Is that right? I agree.

From a professional point of view:
What is Right to me may not “RIGHT” to my manager?

Moving onto a professional realm, what appears right to you may not be so with your colleague or manager. There are always differences in opinion. As the saying goes, ““When two partners always agree, one of them is not necessary."

As a team, when the crew has the same objective, there can be different approach in accomplishments. Conflict or difference of opinion arises in the professional life when the objective, level of urgency and priority differs.  Rifts can be resolved when we align, with an open mind that there exists different ways and means to achieve the goal.  There is a streak of self-righteousness in all of us, making us ‘Right’ always. Is that right? Certainly not. You must be willing to listen to others’ opinion and perspective and for all you know, they might be right or you can be proven wrong. Its all about objectivity and a sense of rationality.

What I learnt so far in my professional life : get your objectives aligned with your Manager’s (Stakeholders') objectives/Vision/Mission to avoid most of the conflicts. When we work in an organization, there could be more ways to achieve the mission and not necessarily only one way. Always focus towards the end results without allowing yourself into petty squabbles of who is Right. It’s alright if you are not right. No one is, for that matter all the time correct. We are not picture perfect with a vision of 20/20.  Don’t get deviated. The less we spend on proving self, the more we focus on our objectives & goals, and eventually become productive and promising.

We always welcome feedback, and your review will be very much appreciated.





No comments:

Post a Comment